This unique property - 'The Rest' complete with an 1800's Colonial mansion, a guesthouse, a gazebo, pergola, a grape arbour, playhouse, porte cochere, passive pond, and the original millstone from Jones Mill - sits on just shy of half an acre and is only 2 blocks to the Tenleytown metro. Imagine, in the Thanksgivings and holidays to come, your family history and gatherings can take place in this bit of American history. Inside are spacious rooms, high ceilings, wavy blown glass windows, built-in cabinets, built-in bookcases, an alcove between the first and second floor, original hardwood floors, colonial hand-hewn massive beams held in place with wooden pegs, 8 fireplaces (some now ornamental) and a tower. From the tower the Washington Monument can be seen, and during the war of 1812, Dolley Madison is rumoured to have stood there and watched the White House burning. There are also rumours of this property being a part of the underground railroad. If you visit during an open house, or with an agent, ask to see the stairs accessible from the kitchen porch that open into the stone foundation basement. In the past this property - with one of the oldest houses in DC - has seen much history. Owned only by 3 families since the 1700's, this is the first time it has been on the market in 46 years. During this time of Covid, The Rest is a perfect home and retreat. The land is fully fenced, private, with trees, bird baths, room to run and play, room to plant flowers and to garden. Inside there's an alcove, sitting rooms, and a guesthouse (with a kitchen) that could be an office, used as a school room, a studio, a place to do yoga, or for family and friend visits. Outside on warm days, there are the 37 feet of wraparound porch to enjoy, the gazebo for visits with friends, and the pergola for yoga or reading.
Single Family, Other
Sump Pump, Gas Water Heater, Public Water Service
Brick, Frame, Stone
5,020 sq. ft
Charles Jones In 1800'S
Cable TV, Natural Gas
District Of Columbia Public Schools
Detailed Room Information
- Kitchen, Laundry Room, Living Room, Sitting Room
- Hookups in Basement
- Square FootageAbove / Below (approx)
- 4,048 Sq. Ft. Above Ground. 972 Sq. Ft. Below Ground.
- Dishwasher, Disposal, Gas Dryer, Gas Range/Cooktop, Range Hood, Six Burner Range, Refrigerator, Appliance Center, Washer
- Hardwood, Carpet
- Window Air Conditioning, Electric
- Gas Heat. Radiators.
- Entrance Outside, Poured
- Additional Interior Features
- Built-Ins, Built-Ins, Cedar Closet, Curved Stair, wine storage, 9Ft+ Ceilings
Exterior / Lot Features
- 5 Parking Spaces. Circular Driveway, Paved Driveway, Private, Driveway.
- Brick, Stone, Frame
- Porch, Wrap-around Porch, Patio
- Additional Exterior/Lot Features
- Out Building, Playground, Front Yard, Landscaped, Back Yard, Side Yard. Other, Corner, Pond Front, Pond.
Data Provided by Onboard
Active Market Trends
Median list price
Days On Market
Properties For Sale
Sold Market Trends
Median sold price
Median Sq. Ft. Price
Arrows indicate 90 day trend
Source: Bright MLS